Jean's Notebook

Sunday, June 25, 2006

Where would you...

I've been watching a rerun of the movie "Forrest Gump " last night and today. I've been struck by it's profound simplicity and it's depiction of historical events that happened, primarily, over the course of my lifetime. President Kennedy, the Vietnam war, these things I lived through and could easily identify with as Forrest made his way through his journey. Remember how Forrest met Jenny, his lifelong love, on the bus on the first day of school? He had braces on his legs and nobody else would let him sit with them, except Jenny. He and Jenny formed a lifelong relationship although they went their separate ways for many years. They had a brief interlude after he returned from the war and she disappeared again. When he finally found her she had born their son, Forrest Jr, and they married. She died shortly thereafter. Forrest was left to put his son on the bus on his first day of school. And life goes on. I hadn't watched this movie since I first saw it and it was bittersweet. There was one line, however, that stayed in my mind.
During their interlude, Forrest and Jenny go walking through the countryside where they grew up. They came to the old shack where she lived with her abusive father. Without words she approached the shack and began to throw rocks at it with all her might. Forrest watched, speechless, until she finally collapses. He kneels down beside her and softly says, "I guess, sometimes, there just aren't enough rocks." I wonder, for each of us, where would you throw your rocks if you could return to the past?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Karma is/are the rocks. I definitely think what goes around comes around even if we don't get to witness it first hand.

9:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home